Let’s master the pronunciation of Japanese [tsu]
- Can do : master the pronunciation of [tsu]
- Study style: practice while moving your body
- Tools: not in particular
- Preparation: words with [tsu] in.
How to (A)
Practice individual [tsu] sound with hand movement’s assist
- poke your left hand palm
- try pronouncing [ts] while doing 1.
Tips: it shouldn’t be [ts]+[u]
Practice words with [tsu] sound in. practice separately according to the position of [tsu].
Use your hand movement. When you make it, practice without.
- Words with [tsu] sound on top: tsuki (moon), tsukue (desk)
- Words with [tsu] at the end: mittsu (three things), ikutsu (how many)
- Words with [tsu] in the middle: futsuu (normal), itsuka (someday)
How to (B)
Since your mouth will be the same shape when you pronounce [su] and [tsu], use [su] sound to practice [tsu] sound.
start with say [su]. Without changing your mouth shape, move your tongue to the back of your front upper teeth to pronounce [tsu]
Try to say [su-tsu] [su-tsu→sutsu][sutsu→tsu][tsu]
Practice using actual words.
- Practice using [tsuushin (telecommunication)] and [chuushin (center of~)].
- Pronunciate [tsuushin]and [chuushin]. Think about the meaning difference while pronunciating.
Think about how different [tsu] and [chu]are. Make your surroundings’ pronunciation your resource.