Let’s master the pronunciation of Japanese [z]
- Can do: master pronunciation of Japanese [z]
- Study style: practice by moving body
- Tools: not in particular
- Preparation : words with Japanese [z] sound in.
1. Say [zzzzzzz…] while you make your hands move like you are wringing a towel
- When you loosen your hands and add [o] after the [zzzzzzzz…] sound you are making, you will make the pronunciation of [zo].
- You will make the pronunciation of [zu] when you cut [zzzzzz…] sound.
- *tip: Japanese [zu] sound shouldn’t be [z+u].
- You will make [za] sound when you loosen your hands and add [a] after the [zzzz…] sound.
- You will make [ze] sound when you loosen your hands a little and add [e] after the [zzzz…] sound.
Practice those [z] sound with words contains them. Choose word with [z] sound on the top, in the middle and at the end.
Example1: [z] sound on the top
- 「ぞうきん」(dust clothes)
- 「ずっと」(for a long time)
Example2 : [z] sound at the end
- 「どうぞ」(here you are)
- 「せいざ」(sit on heels)
Eample 3 : [z]sound in the middle
- 「とうざいせん」(Tozai line, the name of metro line in Tokyo)
3. Once you made it, try it again without the hand movement!